Senior Specialist, Communications, Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL)
Closing: Open until Filled
Duty Station: New York City, USA
Line Manager: Director, Communications
Grade Level: Specialist 3, overall level 6
Date Required: As soon as possible
Duration: One year with possibility to extend
Closing date: April 12, 2021
Background on SEforALL: Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an international organisation working with leaders in government, the private sector and civil society to drive further, faster action toward achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), which calls for universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to limit climate warming to well below 2° Celsius.
Achieving these goals will require a radical rethink of the way we produce, distribute and consume energy. SEforALL is at the heart of this foundational shift to ensure no one is left behind. Drawing on data and evidence, we identify a critical path to success in achieving SDG7.
Former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the Sustainable Energy for All initiative in 2011. Now an independent organization, we maintain close links with the UN, including through a relationship agreement, partnerships with UN agencies and with SEforALL's CEO acting as the UN Secretary-General's Special Representative for Sustainable Energy for All and Co-Chair of UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy and the implementation of SDG7 and supporting the coordination of sustainable energy issues in the United Nations system.
The ambitions of SDG7 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris Agreement on climate change involves transformation at a scale never undertaken before. Swift action must be taken by leaders in governments, private sector companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions, communities, entrepreneurs and civil society. As we enter the final decade to achieve SDG7, SEforALL has strategically chosen to strengthen global agenda-setting while expanding its activities to an engagement model that prioritizes data-driven decision-making, partnerships with high-impact countries and implementation on the ground. The new SEforALL three-year business plan outlines work programmes that scope out our planned interventions and demonstrate to our funding partners the impact of their support. http://www.seforall.org
Purpose/Objective of the role
The main objectives of the role include:
- Support and produce speeches, event/video scripts, briefings and social media posts for SEforALL's Chief Executive Officer (CEO) / UN Secretary-General's Special Representative for Sustainable Energy for All (SRSG) that positions SEforALL as a leader in driving the SDG7 targets
- Support the CEO/SRSG and the Leadership Team to ensure the organization shares compelling messages, data, research and expertise on SDG7 with global audiences
- Contribute to the organization's social media strategy development and messaging
- Utilize social media channels to increase the global influence of the CEO/SRSG and relay and amplify her, the organization’s and SDG7 key messages
- Grow SEforALL's messaging and influence through media and social media networks across all regions
Duties and tasks
The main duties and tasks of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Draft and finalize key written communications for CEO/SRSG - including, but not limited to remarks, written interviews, op-eds, speeches, quotes, talking points, briefings etc.
- Develop and create content for CEO / SRSG social media channels
- Support media engagement for the CEO/SRSG, including identifying and pitching SEforALL media stories and providing media support to the CEO/SRSG
- Work with the CEO/SRSG and Programme Leads to determine key data and core messages for all engagements
- Advise on strategic opportunities for CEO/SRSG engagement, including through events, meetings, speeches, media interviews and other activities
- Research, verify content that communicates in clear language that reflects the CEO/SRSG’s voice and vision
- Coordinate activities and work with the Director of Communications to ensure messaging that is consistent with the organization’s priorities
- Provide guidance on social media engagement opportunities to the Director of Communications and SEforALL’s Leadership Team and staff.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of communication strategies
- Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing in own work area to bring about awareness and understanding, as well as utilize SEforALL systems and process to share the knowledge. e.g. Salesforce.
- Other tasks and duties as may be required
The Role Requirements
- Several years of relevant work experience required in writing speeches, briefings and impactful social media posts and executive communication
- Responsibilities/Tasks: Conception, planning and integration/implementation of various related functional topics or own projects in a functional field
- Problem solving: Problems are difficult and diverse; Further evaluation of various factors is required for the analysis; Development of comprehensive approaches using established methods, procedures and tools; Existing rules, standards and workflows etc. are enhanced
- Interaction: Consulting and convincing others of own function/specialist field
- Impact: Contributing by representing topics in cross-functional work groups
- Discretion/ Discretional powers: Acts within defined specifications not covering all aspects and requiring interpretation (scope of discretion). Control of results, works along existing processes
- Leadership: Where appropriate, functional control of topics and employees within a discipline
- Education: Completed relevant university degree or comparable skills
- Functional /Specialist expertise: Advanced expertise in a comprehensive discipline; Extended expertise in other disciplines
- Methods expertise: Theoretical and practical expertise in applying advanced principles, methods and tools
Functional-Technical Competencies Specific to the Role
- Writing, editing and language skills, and an ability to convey complex ideas in a concise, clear, direct, and lively style
- Proven media relations experience and understanding of communications and outreach at the international level, and proven ability to position and advocate for issues effectively.
- Knowledge of and communications experience in sustainable development, energy, energy transitions and energy access an advantage.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office, Social Media Channels and Social Media monitoring tools (Buffer etc).
- Strong organizational skills, ability to meet tight deadlines and to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently, ability to take initiative and be innovative
- Strategic thinking and planning skills as well as diplomacy, tact and courtesy in dealing with the stakeholders and with High-level representatives
- Strong interpersonal skills and cultural awareness. Comfortable working in a multi-cultural, international working environment
- Fluency in French will be considered an asset
General Competences for the Role:
- Innovation & Adaptability: Has expert skills and commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities. Is flexible to evolving circumstances, as well as helps others in doing so.
- Resilience & Emotional Intelligence: Has expert knowledge in the concepts of resilience and emotional intelligence. Is able to remain calm in challenging situations, to cope with setbacks, is responsive to the emotions of others and maintains a high level of performance
- Analytical & Strategic Thinking: Has an expert level of analytical and strategic thinking skills. Gathers and processes demanding information, develops innovative solutions and contributes by representing topics/approaches in internal and cross-functional working groups/teams.
- Collaboration & Partnership: Demonstrates expert initiative and abilities to collaborate and form partnerships in own area of responsibility, across teams and externally. Builds and maintains effective relationships at all levels inside and outside the organisation. Displays team-oriented attitude contributing to creating a positive team spirit.
- Lead & Empower: Demonstrates initiative and role model behavior in leading and empowering others. Takes responsibility for own work activities and personal actions and carries out the commitments agreed upon.
- Political and Diplomatic Understanding: Has an expert level of political and diplomatic understanding.
- Communicating Information: Has expert skills in communicating information and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work and in others’ work.
- Research and Analytics: Has expert skills in research and analytics. Promotes the use of data within the team and to contribute to wider decision making.
- Project Management: Has expert skills in project management. Plans and organises their own work using project management tools in support of achieving the team’s objectives.
- Client Orientation / Striving for Excellence: Has expert skills in client orientation and achieving excellency in work delivery.
Our Values - please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Vienna, Washington DC and New York City, and flexibility and result orientated modern workplace arrangements.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
Click here to learn more and apply