Senior Associate, Testing and Technology, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
Closing: Mar 10,2015
The Senior Associate will provide programmatic leadership and administrative support to the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves in the area of testing and technology, including educating partners about technologies and evaluation, developing and disseminating testing and technology resources and tools, supporting capacity building at testing centers, and coordinating projects and budget. S/he will be an active and contributing member of the Technical Team. S/he will also work closely with the entire Alliance team on issues related to communications, market development, and partner and donor engagement. The role will be in support of the Alliance’s overall mission to save lives, improve livelihoods, empower women, and protect the environment by creating a thriving global market for clean and efficient household cooking solutions.
The Senior Associate reports to the Director of Standards, Technology and Fuels.
Knowledge Management and Training (70%)
• Develop knowledge resources and tools to educate Alliance’s partners on cookstove types, technology selection, testing methods and results.
• Support the global network of Regional Testing and Knowledge Centers through organizing capacity building activities, developing streamlined processes for data sharing, and maintain updated harmonized testing methods and training resources.
• Support ongoing work to increase sustainability of testing centers, including to develop business plans, increase number of clients, and increase quality and responsiveness of testing services.
• Coordinate the ongoing development and expansion of the Clean Cooking Catalog, a database of technologies, specifications, prices, and performance. Data entry and curation for the Catalog and integrate data with the Alliance’s other knowledge resources, working with the Senior Producer for Online Strategy and the Manager for Market Research and Knowledge.
• Coordinate technology and testing knowledge in the Alliance’s 8 focus countries, to catalyze better technology options being adopted over time
• Develop relevant requests for proposals, administer application review and selection process, oversee projects and review project reports to ensure timeliness and progress to achieve goals and impact
• Support monitoring and evaluation efforts on global and focus country technology activities, including tracking of stove performance, quality, and numbers
• Maintain testing and technology resources in the Alliance’s online resource library
• Support Alliance team with technical input on technology options and testing results
Partner engagement, outreach, and communication (10%)
• Develop and implement communications strategy to increase the number of organizations utilizing testing services and the level of data sharing in the sector
• Develop partnerships with the Alliance’s testing and technology development partners and address queries from partners related to technology selection and testing methods and results
• Develop and write content for reports, blogs, website and through social media to communicate about the Alliance’s and its partners’ activities to multiple audiences
Market and Consumer Activities (10%)
• Technical support for grant, investment, and capacity building activities targeted to enterprise development
• Coordination with Regional Market Managers working in Alliance focus countries (currently in Bangladesh, China, Ghana, Guatemala, India, Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda) to ensure focus country partners are educated about testing and technology knowledge, support consumer labeling activities, and that technologies disseminated in these countries are high performing and well-adopted
• Seek feedback from Alliance team and stakeholders to develop criteria for testing and technology for Alliance’s grant and investment opportunities
Overall Support of Alliance initiatives (10%)
• Assist with the organization of conferences, workshops, and events, in collaboration with the Events Manager, including planning, logistics, and coordinating meeting minutes and action items
• Assist with developing proposals, requests for proposals, and grant reporting
• Represent UNF and the Alliance at meetings, conferences, workshops, and other events, as directed
• Other duties as assigned
• Master’s degree or foreign equivalent in related field required, e.g. mechanical engineering, environmental engineering, data science, international and sustainable development. PhD preferred.
• At least 3-5 years of work experience in relevant area, e.g. technology for international development, technology evaluation, knowledge management.
• Proven analytical and project management skills, including the ability to move projects forward from inception to implementation to completion with adherence to deadlines;
• Strong communications skills (speaking, writing, editing, and listening); with attention to detail and broad strategy and experience communicating to different audiences
• Ability to follow instructions thoroughly while also providing a strategic and critical eye to identify and address additional gaps;
• Ability and experience in developing, maintaining, and enjoying effective working relationships with people, internally and externally, from a wide variety of types of organizations, cultural backgrounds, and with a wide variety of functional expertise;
• Willingness to travel, including internationally
• Flexibility, openness to new challenges, and the ability to thrive as part of a highly functioning, fast-paced group of professionals and to prioritize competing demands;
• Self-starter with the desire for continuous learning and the ability to synthesize information and respond positively to constructive feedback;
• Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy;
• Ability to represent the organization with professionalism, diplomacy and self-confidence;
• Personal commitment to the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves and United Nations Foundation’s missions; demonstrated knowledge of global issues and the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves and United Nations Foundation’s programs and goals;