Strategic Fellow, Somali Region, BURN Manufacturing
Closing: Open until Filled
Job Title: Strategic Fellow Somali-Region
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Position reports to: Country-Manager Somali-Region
Direct reports: None
Based in Ruiru, Kenya, BURN Manufacturing designs, produces and distributes Kenya’s best-selling, most durable, and economical charcoal and wood cookstoves that also dramatically reduce harmful smoke emissions which can cause significant health problems, even death.
Not only do they sell the world’s most fuel-efficient charcoal and wood household stoves, but BURN is also the only jiko company that manufactures all of its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only state-of-the-art clean cookstove manufacturing facility. They are extremely proud to employ 225 team members throughout Kenya and support a workforce that is 60 percent female, thus empowering women in roles traditionally considered to be “for men only.”
Since 2013, BURN has sold more than 950,000+ Jikokoa™ stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 3,000,000 beneficiaries save $151 million in fuel expenditures and 2.6 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~15,000 stoves per month and is on track to double sales over the next 12 months.
The Strategic Fellow will apply his/her professional knowledge and expertise to support the Somali-Region Senior Management in all operational and strategic planning activities. They are looking for someone who is interested in working in a dynamic, challenging environment, for a company that recognizes and rewards creativity, initiative, and contributions.
The successful candidate will be groomed for a management position in the company within 12 months.
Main responsibilities will involve:
- Strategy: Assist Somali-Region Senior Management to track and provide analytical reports on the development of strategic initiatives, financial and operational performance
- Collaboration: Act as an organizer and go-between with BURN’s market intelligence, sales, and senior management teams for tracking and reporting on Somali-Region project execution
- Projects: Carry out specific management projects falling outside the scope of Operations
- Business Planning: Consolidate and produce business plans and review together with other business heads
- Market Research: Help produce regular and ad-hoc research papers/reports on business development and market landscape
- Reporting: Complete all reporting activities accurately and on time
Skills, Experience, and Requirements
- MBA or Bachelor degree
- Previous experience in strategic or management consulting
- Good sense of local and global socio-economic development
- Excellent Communication and Interpersonal skills in English
- Excellent graphical presentation skill
- Excellent Desktop research skill
- Valid passport and capacity to travel interationally
Nice to have
- Knowledge of the local market
- Fluent in Somali language
DURATION: 12 months
- Fellows receive a stipend of $1,200 monthly plus housing and international travel on location
To apply, please click here.