Manager, Standards & Testing, Clean Cooking Alliance
Closing: Open until Filled
The Clean Cooking Alliance (the “Alliance”) works with a global network of partners to build a dynamic and financially sustainable industry that makes clean cooking accessible to families around the world. Established in 2010, the Alliance supports the development, sale, distribution, and consistent use of clean cooking solutions that transform lives by improving health, protecting the climate and environment, and helping families save time and money. In alignment with the Sustainable Development Goals, the Alliance is working to achieve universal access to clean cooking by 2030.
The Evidence & Impact (E&I) team works across the organization to ensure that the most up-to-date evidence is used in programming and that a culture of learning is promoted. The E&I team serves as technical experts on clean cooking and health-, environment-, and climate-related issues and supports the translation of research to policy, advocacy, and project/program design and implementation. The E&I team also manages or co-manager the relationships with several key health, environment, and climate organizations.
As a member of the Alliance’s Evidence & Impact team, the Manager of Standards and Testing oversees the Alliance’s efforts on standards and testing to drive the clean cooking sector toward technologies that can achieve greater benefits. This role will focus on refining and executing the Alliance’s standards and testing strategy, including designing projects and budgets, ensuring coordination with external partners, and integrating this work internally into the Alliance’s broader efforts. S/he must be equally comfortable engaging with governments on policy, innovators on technology, businesses on markets, and scientists on research, including serving as the bridge between these groups to ensure a collaborative and cohesive approach to standards and testing in the clean cooking sector. As this role requires engaging with stakeholders from all over the world, strong cultural competency is critical.
S/he reports directly to the Senior Director, Evidence & Impact, and closely collaborates with members of the Alliance’s Gender, Demand & Policy team and the Private Sector & Investment team. S/he will also work with the entire Alliance team to support communications, market strengthening, donor engagement and other critical activities. S/he works in close collaboration with external strategic partners and stakeholders to support standards and testing-related activities within the sector.
The Alliance Standards & Testing Strategy
International standards provide a single, validated source for testing methods and performance indicators. This facilitates coordination in a sector where each actor can have differing priorities, approaches, and goals. In addition to harmonizing how performance is measured and reported, standards also formalize a sector; they are the basis of governmental, donor and organizational policies and programs, as well as a means of tracking progress toward policy objectives, and provide incentive for manufacturers to work toward higher performance targets.
The Alliance has supported the sector to develop international standards through the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) since 2012. There are now international standards for lab testing and field testing that can be adapted and adopted in national contexts. The Alliance works with governments, intergovernmental organizations, and other decision-makers to implement these standards and testing protocols to drive the market to higher quality products, ultimately benefiting consumers.
Successful standards implementation depends on quality testing services. The Alliance works closely with testing centers around the world to build their capacity, ensure ongoing technical training, and support their sustainability.
The Manager, Standards and Testing will lead this work in close collaboration with Alliance partners, including the ISO, US Environmental Protection Agency, the World Health Organization, GIZ (German Development Agency), the World Bank, and others.
- Lead the refinement and execution of the Alliance’s standards and testing strategy to ensure that these components are well-established in the clean cooking sector.
- Ensure that standards and testing are integrated into the full Alliance portfolio by building strong internal relationships.
- Develop and execute implementation plans for the available budget, including identifying future needs and supporting fundraising for these needs
- Support work to increase sustainability of testing centers, including to develop business plans, increase number of clients, increase quality and responsiveness of testing services.
- Support monitoring and evaluation of stove performance by working closely with the Alliance’s Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team.
- Support Alliance team and key partners with technical input on setting technology-related goals for grants, investment, capacity building activities and strategic planning.
- Develop and implement communications strategy to increase the number of organizations using standards and testing in their clean cooking activities.
- Develop and write content for reports, blogs, website and through social media to communicate about the Alliance’s and its partners’ activities to multiple audiences.
- Coordinate organization of conferences, workshops, and events on standards and testing, including planning, logistics, and coordinating meeting minutes and action items.
- Explore innovative ways, such as virtual training, to reach a broad audience to disseminate critical knowledge about standards and testing.
- Assist with developing proposals, requests for proposals, and grant reporting.
- Represent UNF and the Alliance at meetings, conferences, workshops, and other events, as directed.
- Manage and/or support relationships with key standards and testing stakeholders, including ISO, WHO, US EPA, governments, UNFCCC, WB, GIZ and others.
- Perform other duties as assigned
We seek applicants who comfortably dive into the minutiae of standards and regulations and synthesize these details to understand the big-picture implications for policy and market growth. We are interested in applicants who have experience engaging with a range of stakeholders on technical and non-technical topics. We seek candidates who are able to cultivate effective working relationships with people, internally and externally, from a wide variety of types of organizations, cultural backgrounds, and areas of expertise.
- Master’s degree or foreign equivalent in related field required, e.g. engineering, policy, international and sustainable development, or other relevant disciplines
- At least 5 years of work experience in relevant area, e.g. technology for international development, policy development, standards, etc. Experience implementing standards preferred
- The ability to think strategically, and the willingness to exercise that ability regularly with enthusiasm to play an integral role in developing and implementing solutions to challenging problems
- A high degree of internal motivation and the ability to ‘self-start’ and work professionally, diplomatically and effectively in a global, often remote team spread across offices and time zones
- Proven analytical and project management skills, including the ability to move projects forward from inception to implementation to completion with adherence to deadlines
- Strong communications skills (speaking, writing, editing, and listening), including the ability to articulate complex concepts in a concise and compelling manner, and communicate technical information clearly to a lay audience.
- Ability to follow instructions thoroughly while also providing a strategic and critical eye to identify and address additional gaps
- Ability and experience in developing, maintaining, and enjoying effective working relationships with people, internally and externally, from a wide variety of types of organizations, cultural backgrounds, and with a wide variety of functional expertise.
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Appreciation for diverse perspectives
- Keen attention to detail
- Willingness to travel, including internationally (up to 25%)
- Ability to represent the organization with professionalism, diplomacy and self-confidence
- Personal commitment to Clean Cooking Alliance and the UN Foundation’s vision
- Flexibility, openness to new challenges, and the ability to thrive and prioritize competing demands as part of a highly functioning, fast-paced group of professional
- Self-starter with the desire for continuous learning and the ability to synthesize information and respond positively to constructive feedback.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.