Commercial Team Fellow - BURN Manufacturing
Closing: Open until Filled
Based in Ruiru, Kenya, BURN Manufacturing designs, produces and distributes Kenya’s bestselling, most durable and economical charcoal and wood cookstoves that also dramatically reduce harmful smoke emission.
Not only do they sell the world’s most fuel-efficient charcoal and wood household stoves, but BURN is also the only Jiko company that manufactures all its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only state-of-the-art clean cookstove manufacturing facility. They are extremely proud to employ 225 team members throughout Kenya and support a workforce that is 60 percent female, thus empowering women in roles traditionally considered to be “for men only.”
Since 2013, BURN has sold more than 500,000+ Jikokoa ™ stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 3,000,000 beneficiaries save $151 million in fuel expenditures and 2.6 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~15,000 stoves per month and is on track to double sales over the next 12 months.
BURN is looking for a Fellow to help build the capacity of our Commercial Team. This person needs to be dynamic and have a real can-do attitude. He/she will be a key member of the Commercial Team and will work closely with the Kenya Commercial Director (KCD). The Fellow will gain valuable skills to further their career by contributing in the following ways
- Develop, along with the KCD, processes and systems for the Commercial department to run more efficiently and scale.
- Help grow existing distribution channels for BURN by supporting Sales Executives on developing specific sales strategies.
- Manage a range of “Special Projects” within the commercial team
- Work with Sales Execs on professional development and capacity building. Such as trainings on selling techniques, negotiations strategy, IT, etc.
- Strategize, plan, and implement new product launches with the KCD and sales team.
- Support the KCD on operations and office work.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strategic thinking – experience developing strategy and/or business plans.
- Process oriented – experience developing processes and systems.
- High level of comfort working with B2B clients and a team of outside Sales Executives.
- Enthusiasm, creativity, and a desire to ‘sell for good’
- Consumer product experience (durable goods ideal)
- Preference will be given to MBA students/recent graduates with sales and marketing experience and candidates with East African experience
This is a six to twelve month fellowship in Ruiru (just outside Nairobi), Kenya to begin in July 2020. Fellows receive a stipend of $1,200 per month and housing in a company house in Nairobi. BURN will provide one round trip flight at the beginning and end of the fellowship.
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Commercial Team Fellow Application”.