Chief Program Officer, Clean Cooking Alliance
Closing: Open until Filled
The Chief Program Officer, Clean Cooking Alliance, will report to the CEO of the Alliance and lead a significant portion of programming at the Alliance. The CPO will be an integral member of executive leadership at the Alliance. The Chief Program Officer will be responsible for design, implementation, and reporting of Market Strengthening activities as well as other strategic and complementary in-country activities. The Chief Program Officer will work closely with Alliance Senior Directors and staff in advancing rigorous program and project management from start to finish, standing up and refining new systems, templates and processes for the Alliance to do so, and providing strategic oversight to technical teams and functional support Staff.
The Chief Program Officer will lead the Market Strengthening Team by overseeing strategic program development, implementation, reporting, and learning. The Chief Program Officer will also be responsible for strategic donor relations as well as additional fundraising to continue to grow the program and its effectiveness. The Chief Program Officer will have the opportunity to deploy and steward an innovative market-based program, serving as a critical member of the Alliance ‘s leadership team. In close collaboration with the CEO, the Chief Program Officer will oversee the portfolio of market strengthening projects and related services; evaluate the effectiveness of these projects to provide continuous feedback; elevate the issue of clean cooking through external communications; and provide mentoring, guidance, supervision, and professional development to Alliance Staff.
The Chief Program Officer will manage the Market Strengthening Team’s Senior Director of Gender, Demand, & Policy, and the Senior Director of Private Sector & Investment and their teams and will be responsible for coordinating the timely implementation of the program and complementary donor projects. This includes coordinating all members of the program team, coordinating annual work plan and budget development, ensuring timely workplan implementation, assisting with the development of Requests for Proposals, shepherding contracts, monitoring budgets, ensuring donor compliance, and managing donor relations and grant reporting.
The Chief Program Officer will work closely with Alliance staff members from each team and will report directly to the CEO, Clean Cooking Alliance.
- In coordination with the Chief Executive Officer manage the overall development, strategic planning, implementation, and management of the Market Strengthening Program and complementary donor projects.
- Oversee the coordination, integration, and delivery of all areas of the program, contracts and related services, promoting collaborative relationships between program areas and ensuring that the expectations of funders, partners, constituents, clients, and other stakeholders are consistently met.
- Work with the CEO and senior leadership to establish a strategic vision and guiding philosophy that informs short- and long-term programming goals.
- Work with the Development Team to secure additional funding to continue to grow the program and its effectiveness, by designing and preparing new funding proposals.
- Work with the CEO and senior leadership to determine staffing plans to achieve program goals and objectives.
- Deploy resources efficiently and effectively toward program goals, working with Staff to balance workload and effort and carefully manage program budgets.
- Lead the development, design, and budgeting process on an on-going basis, including for annual work plans, and work closely with the Operations team to budget and monitor programmatic operations to ensure sound fiscal and system management.
- Lead in the management of reporting deadlines and deliverables.
- Convene regular internal coordination meetings/calls to monitor progress against the work plan(s).
- Guide the development of Requests for Proposals, Terms of Reference, grants, and contracts for additional consultants for implementation of program activities.
- Provide compliance oversight and serve as a point of contact for compliance-related questions from the donor.
- Maintain extensive files and documentation that show full compliance of program activities with both donor and internal UNF regulations.
- Provide hands-on support and technical assistance in monitoring program activities and recommend actions necessary to resolve concerns.
- Mentor senior directors, managers coordinators, and other Staff on how to proactively engage in planning to improve program management.
- Support the timely coordination of the activities being undertaken by Alliance team members in Washington, D.C. as well as representatives in-country, and monitor adherence to all grant timelines and budgets.
- Collaborate with the Communications & Partnerships team on the preparation and/or dissemination of communications pieces including reports, social media, and other communications materials.
- Represent the Alliance at external events and in partner consultations.
- Perform other duties and/or tasks as assigned.
- Maintaining working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly. (As applicable to the role)
- Drafting and reviewing agreements and maintaining an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Attending training sessions provided by UNF’s contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures. (As applicable to the role)
- Maintain a strong knowledge of UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, extract information and prepare reports. (As applicable to the role)
- Other duties as assigned.
- Energetic, kind, transparent, positive, and humble.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s Degree in business administration, energy, international development, environment, or related field strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 15 years leadership experience in a roles overseeing multiple international programs.
- Demonstrated experience managing a high-performing team in a multi-site structure.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and execution.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of program planning, organizational structure, budgeting, administrative operations.
- Demonstrated experience raising grant funding and managing donor relationships.
- Strong relationship builder with the ability find common ground, build consensus and strengthen collaboration among diverse stakeholders.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to represent the organization externally across a wide range of stakeholders and constituencies.
- Familiarity with the clean cooking sector or household energy is a plus.
- Problem-solver with a proactive, no-task-is-too-small nature.
- Go-getter attitude excited to build new systems and processes.
- Ability to manage multiple competing tasks.
- Ability to work under pressure and to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to meet tight deadlines.
- Flexible and adaptable with willingness to support other departments.
- Personal commitment to the Clean Cooking Alliance and UNF’s vision and the ability to articulate those to others in a convincing manner.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Experience working in developing countries, particularly Sub-Saharan Africa, preferred.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit-eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit-eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
To apply for this position, please click here.