Solar Energy Funding - The Honnold Foundation
The Honnold Foundation is now accepting grant applications for our Spring 2020 Grant Cycle! We provide unrestricted grant funding to organizations or projects that use solar energy to increase social and economic equity and reduce environmental impact.
ALL applicants must meet the below criteria to be eligible for funding:
- The project/organization focuses on solar energy
- The project/organization has the capacity to build solar infrastructure OR has a partner that has the capacity to build solar infrastructure
- The project/organization serves underserved/marginalized communities
- The project/organization reduces social or economic inequity
- The project/organization reduces environmental impact
- The organization is community-based and/or has a clear community connection
- Organizations must have 501(c)3 status or equivalent status within their country of operation
Both domestic and international organizations may apply. Grant awards are typically no larger than US$100,000.
Applicants seeking US$10,000 or less AND serving communities in Utah are eligible for the Utah Community Grants Program; see below.
Round 1: Organization and Project Summary — an explanation of your work and your funding proposal. No budget or detailed description is required for this round. We use this round to determine basic eligibility for Honnold Foundation funding. Applications are due February 7, 2020 at 5pm Eastern Standard Time (EST).
Round 2: Full application — eligible applicants will be invited to complete the full application following staff review of the Organization and Project Summary. Applicants will receive an invitation to complete the full application, or a declination letter, by February 14, 2020.
Award Announcements: April 2020
If you are unable to complete an application in our online portal due to limited internet connectivity or other concerns, you may request a paper application. To do so, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Cycle 1: Paper application request”.
Utah Community Grants Program
Small grants program for nonprofits and initiatives serving the Utah community
In 2020, the Honnold Foundation has dedicated $25,000 in funding to organizations and initiatives that support solar energy access in our home state of Utah. Applications for the Utah Community Grants Programs open on February 14, 2020.
ALL applicants must meet the below criteria to be eligible for grant funding:
The project/organization improves the community’s capacity for or understanding of solar energy (use, education, awareness, or infrastructure)
- The project/organization works with underserved or marginalized communities in Utah
- The organization is a registered 501(c)3 or equivalent
- The organization is community-based or has leadership from the community they serve
Grants range from $1,000 to $10,000, and applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning February 14, 2020. Awards are announced on a rolling basis; the Utah Community Grants cycle will conclude for the year when all funds have been awarded.
The Honnold Foundation is committed to a transparent grant-making process. If you have questions, please reach out to email@example.com.